Thursday, November 12, 2009

Please Keep Curtis

I am very worried. Scratch that, I am downright depressed. If the Tigers trade Curtis Granderson, I don't know what I'm going to do. Just reading about the possibility today, it got a bit dusty in my cube at work...

I understand that financial implications, I really do, but I just can't fathom how you can trade a guy who has made a connection to a community that craves interaction with its sports stars. It has been such a long time since Detroit had an elite player (truthfully, that might be a slight overstatement for Grandy) that actually had the desire to be in the public spotlight. Nothing against Barry Sanders or Steve Yzerman, but the last two great athletes that played in Detroit tended to shy away from the public eye. Granderson provides the Tigers with a unique opportunity to build a relationship with the city on a whole new level. Anybody who saw a game at Comerica Park this summer can vouch, there was a special connection between the team and its fans, and much of that is built because of Granderson's role and the face and voice of the organization. There is not a better ambassador for baseball playing in MLB today, and it would be a terrible shame for the Tigers to lose that. For baseball reasons, I don't want to see the Tigers trade away any of their promising young players, Jackson, Verlander, et. al., but losing Granderson would be an even more crippling hit to the PR side of things, something that is of paramount importance for a team battling for its chunk of Detroit's waning disposable income.

Most importantly, it would spell the end for "The Rio Granderson", the only fantasy baseball team name that I have ever known.

No comments:

Post a Comment