Friday, November 13, 2009

The Martin Mandate: Week 10

As a counter to my buddy Jordan's "Levinson Lock o' the Week", I debuted the Martin Mandate, my NFL pick each week, earlier this year. So far, I have taken it on the chin, going a robust 2-5 over the last 7 weeks. But, in Week 9, I discovered the secret. The Constaza Method.

Based on the Seinfeld episode in which George gets a smoking hot girlfriend and a job with the Yankees by doing the opposite of every one of his instincts, the NFL version of The Constanza Method dictates that I eschew what seems to be an obvious choice for the game of the week and instead pick a team that, on the surface, has no chance to cover. This team need not be an underdog, just a pick that seems intuitively wrong.

Last week's debut of The Constanza Method was a success, with the Texans covering on the road against Peyton Manning and the undefeated Colts.

"I was free and clear. I was living the dream. I was stripped to the waist eating a block of cheese the size of a car battery."
- George Costanza

That was me on Sunday (except for the nakedness and giant piece of cheese) as I celebrated The Costanza Method's initial triumph. Needless to say, I have already purchased a hefty brick of asiago in anticipation of this week's matchups.

My initial thought was to take New Orleans on the road, giving 2 touchdowns at St.Louis. This one seems like a layup, but it can't be that easy. The Costanza Method dictates that I choose a team with a far more difficult road to victory. How about a team that won only 4 games last season going to for a sweep of the Super Bowl Champions on the road?

The Martin Mandate for Week 10 is...

Cincinnati +7 over PITTSBURGH

Chad Ochocinco, Cedric Benson and the rest of the Bengals will roll into Heinz field and stomp the Steelers (or at least lose in a close one) in a clash of 6-2 divisional rivals.

No comments:

Post a Comment