Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Farewell to WDFN

Yesterday, I turn on WDFN at work over the internet and was slightly surprised to hear some crappy Fox Sports radio show, but then I just figured that Stoney and Woj had just taken the day off to observe Barack Obama's historic inauguration ceremony. This morning, when I attempted to flip on Sean Baligian, I found an under construction message on wdfn.com. After checking the Free Press website, my worst suspicions were confirmed. WDFN is dead. This is a tragedy. Sean Baligian, Mike Stone, and Bob Wojonowski were the voices of reason in Detroit sports. The cheered with us, the cried with us, they screamed incredulously with us. They gave us Prick 3 and the top 64 condiments tourney. They gave us an outlet to vent frustrations and sing praises. They carried me through drives home from U of D, to drives home from Notre Dame, to drives home from summer jobs, until finally carrying me through my work days here in Chicago. WDFN was the pulse of Detroit sports talk.

All is not lost, we still have the ticket (Boombayeh), but WDFN was the first and the best sports radio station in the Motor City. I'm sure that Stoney, Wojo, and Sean will all land on their feet; my only hope is that those feet are still in Detroit. Congratulations on 14 fantastic years, you will be sorely missed. Fuck this economy.

No comments:

Post a Comment