Wednesday, December 17, 2008

I'm Worried...

It's official, I am legitimately worried about the Pistons, and myself. It's a bit too early to call this Iverson experiment a complete failure, but this season smells like 1-4 series loss to the Cavs in the second round. Strangely though, this is not what really worries me about this Pistons. As soon as the Iverson trade went through, I decided that this season was going to be a total crapshoot. The 'Stons had a coin flip's chance of being buried amongst that dregs of the Eastern Conference and a coin flip's chance of jumping up and joining the Celtics and the Cavs.

Quick aside: The 2008-09 Cleveland Cavaliers are unquestionably the most frightening team I have seen since Jordan's Bulls. LeBron has enough talent around him now that he thinks he can win every game, so he actually tries to win every game. I had always thought that the "If LeBron ever gets good teammates..." argument would turn out like the "If Barry ever had an offensive line..." argument" where Lion fans would pontificate about how unstoppable the '91 Lions would have been if they could have switched O-lines with the Cowboys, but Lions management would somehow not realize this and continually not address the offensive line. Well, Danny Ferry has learned from our mistakes. Barry has an offensive line now and we are all screwed. Snap back to reality...

So far, the Pistons seem to have more Chicago Bulls than Boston Celtics in them and I am dangerously close to thinking about giving up on the 2008-09 season. That explains my worries about the Pistons, but my real concern here is my worries about my own well-being.

It is currently 2008, almost 2009, yet for NBA purposes I am already concerned with the summer of 2010. But it gets worse...I am already worried about the summer of 2010. I don't like how everyone has made the assumption that just because the Pistons will have money during that epic summer they will end up with a top shelf free agent. Sorry, but LeBron is not coming here. If he wants to be a "global icon", he will go to New York. If he wants to win 10 titles, he will go to Portland. If he wants to throw the biggest possible middle finger to the people of Cleveland, he will go to Detroit. So yea, I guess we do have a chance, provided that some yahoo in the Mistake by the Lake decides to chuck a beer a Bron Bron and incite a Palace-style riot. But on the off-chance that doesn't happen, here's the top 3 guys that I would like to see the Pistons go after, as well as reasons why they would not come to Detroit:

- Dwyane Wade: Leaving South Beach for Metro Beach? I don't think so
- Chris Bosh: Joe passed on him in the 2003 draft. This time, he passes on Joe.
- Joe Johnson: The catalyst of the resurrection of basketball in Atlanta, a market that will continue to embrace that team...Why would he leave?

Either the Pistons are screwed, or I'm crazy....

No comments:

Post a Comment